Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Healthy Salad for Lunch

Sometimes, you just need a salad. I make a modified Salad Nicoise for hubs and I and it goes something like this:

Salade Nicoise a la Ann
Salad greens, about 2 cups, whatever you got
Cold chicken, tuna, salmon (whatever was leftover from dinner last night--or use canned)
1 can sliced beets (or 1 cup freshly roasted and sliced)
1 medium size potato, steamed and cut in 1" chunks
1 cup string beans, steamed
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1-2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
1-2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, pecans, cashews, or pumpkin seeds or any combo therein

Divide salad and veggies between 2 plates, arrange attractively. Pile the protein on top. Then top generously with the dressing, then the cranberries, seeds/and or nuts. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper...Enjoy!


Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing....
(or use Bob Big Boy Lite Blue Cheese...or any good bottled Blue Cheese dressing)
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayo
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
splash of red wine vinegar

Mix it all up with a wire whisk--whisk in a little milk if it looks too thick to you--
Chill, covered, up to one day

3 comments:

  1. It looks so yummy! I love a good salad :)
    Thanks for stopping by! I went and tried to get the sample for fossil and they couldn't find it. I was so sad, but I do think I found a paint I love. Fingers crossed :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that salad looks amazing. My hubby likes a salad with dinner or for lunch almost everyday so I am always looking for variety. I noticed your location said SGV. Do you live in the San Gabriel Valley because I do too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I love your comments!