Thursday, March 10, 2011

Monster Lemon

Driving around my neighborhood, I notice the darndest things. I grew up in New York, and even though I have been out west nearly 35 years, I still get a thrill when I see a citrus tree dripping with lemons, oranges or limes in someone's yard. I guess its still foreign to me.  I've seen bananas, mangoes, of course because its SoCal, avocadoes, and lots of other fruits. Sometimes I ask the person if I can have one. Today I saw a full kumquat tree on my morning walk; think I will go back and ask if I can have some. Usually people say yes. (After they give me the "you must be nuts" look)

OK, to my point: Driving home from Sams Club recently I spied this tree... with football sized lemons on it! I just HAD to get some-- so I did. Here they are....


"regular" sized lemon on the left; Godzillemon on the right

Inside...isn't that crazy?
so many seeds! maybe I will plant one
I peeled one up and skinned it. I think the rest I will just display in a bowl. They smell really good, too.


I researched "huge lemon" online and it seems I found a "Citron"...usually they are candied and then diced and put in baked goods, such as cannoli cream (yum!) and panetonne (double-yum)


I think I'll just stare at mine, thank you.


Make it a Great Day!
Ann

4 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of those around here (desert southwest). They are called Ponderosa lemons here. You can get some serious zest from a lemon that size.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOWZAAAA!!!!!! Serious lemon zest is right Cas!!! :) Awesome!

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is huge. Never seen them that big. I am your new follower. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Have a great weekend
    ShowMeMama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is HUGE! We definitely don't see those here in Chicago...or fruit trees besides apple. If I were you, I'd be amazed by all the fruit growing on trees too! It must be so fun to see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I love your comments!