Friday, May 4, 2012

Beans & Rice, Rice & Beans

Dave Ramsey is a hero to me, even though I am not debt free (yet) and I do not follow his advice all the way.

I have, however, stopped the trips to HomeGoods and Kohls, and I have thought about doing that envelope system. I really need to just do it.

I have taken his budget mantra to heart where the household expenses, such as food, come in.

I love when he answers: Beans & Rice, Rice & Beans to someone's query about how to save money on stuff. Ha!

We have a Rice & Beans night most every week. It's easy, it's cheap. It's adaptable, and now that my youngest has FINALLY decided he likes legumes (he took awhile) all 5 of us agree it's a YES.

I make black beans, and brown rice, normally. I have substituted tiny red beans or lentils on occassion. We eat them like a soup, with sour cream, salsa, and sometimes a sprinkle of cheese as a topping. Everyone has their own method. Tortillas accompany.

Here is my bean recipe, adapted from my dear, late, friend Mike O'Leary. Miss you, Mike.

(Ann's adaptation of) Mike's Black Bean Chili

1 16 oz package of dried beans (red or black)
1 8 oz can Ro-tel mexican-style tomatoes and green chilis
1 tablespoon Chicken bouillion powder (I use Knorr)
2 quarts water, boiled
1 tsp dried chili flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 dried bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
salt, to taste


Put the boiled water in the crockpot (I use my electric kettle to boil it then pour it the crock in as its done). Add the rest of the ingredients. Put on HIGH until the mixture comes to a hard boil. Then turn down to MED and let simmer 4-6 hours until the beans are tender. Remove the Bay Leaf. Add salt now, to taste.

Serve over steamed rice in big bowls and add condiments as desired: chopped avocado, grated parmesan or shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped cilantro and onions, and a squeeze of lime are some ideas.

Serve with warmed corn or flour tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! I love your comments!