Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baking on a Rainy Day

Raining again in SoCal! Great excuse to bake.

I had 5 zuchinnis sitting on my kitchen counter. I bought a whole bagful at the flea market last week for a buck. I had already made 2 dishes with them this week, so I had to think of something different. Viola! Zucchini Bread! (I tried to hide the fact it had zucchini in it from the kids, but they figured it out. They gobbled it up anyway.) There is definitely something soothing about eating a half loaf of cake and being able to justify it by saying: it had 2 servings of vegetables in it!
Ann’s Zucchini Bread
¾ cup oil (I used light olive oil)
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp each: baking soda, powder
½ tsp tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3 cups sifted flour
1tsp each vanilla and almond extract
½ cup chocolate chips, raisins, craisins, or any combo thereof

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans. Beat eggs with sugar, extracts, oil, spices, then add zucchini and mix. In separate bowl, mix together: flour, baking powder and soda, salt. Now combine them. Add the fruit and/or chocolate chips and mix. Pour into the 2 pans and bake 30-40 minutes until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick come out with a few crumbs: Do not overbake. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a platter-or a rack if using glaze.

Cream cheese glaze
4 oz softened cream cheese (10 seconds in a microwave will soften it)
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk or cream
Whisk together, then add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Whisk to remove any lumps. Pour over warm cake to glaze.
I'll be linking up to Funky Junk's Saturday Night Special...check that out for tons of great ideas!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh I can just about smell it! The cream cheese icing has me drooling.

    Thanks for linking up your yummy creation to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I love your comments!