Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Skyline Chili



Years ago, work travel brought me to Cincinnati, and although I have not been back, I will forever remember visiting Kings Island Amusement Park (best roller coaster ever!) and eating Skyline Chili every single day I was there. I ate it and then was hooked for life. Its delicious! Its sweet, spicy, and unforgettable. They serve it with mounds of very finely shredded cheese...over spaghetti of all things! And on hot dogs... mmmm....best chili-dog ever!

I am whipping up a batch tonight, of my version...here it is simmering with our sous chef, Dan the Tight-End keeping an eye on it, actually looks like he's guarding it!


My Skyline-esque Chili RECIPE
3 cups water
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce (or 1 of tomato sauce, and one 6oz tomato paste)
2-3 beef bullion cubes
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 to 4 tablespoons chili powder ( I use California Chili powder)
1 tsp crushed dried oregano
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 whole bay leaf
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsps soy sauce


In a 5 1/2-quart pot, add the ground meat and water and bring to a boil for 30 minutes. While cooking, stir beef occasionally and separate into a fine crumbled texture. (You can use a wire whisk to make short work of this) It will look soupy. Don't worry.


Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for a couple hours or so. You can cover the pot for the last hour of cooking if the chili has reached the desired consistency. (Some people use a slurry of a little flour or cornstarch and water and add to thicken at the end, but I find it unnecessary)


Serve over cooked spaghetti. Or in a steamed bun with a steamed dog in it... With a ton of shredded cheddar cheese on top...prepare to swoooonnn....

How to serve Skyline Chili:


3-way: includes spaghetti, chili sauce and finely grated Cheddar cheese 4-way: includes spaghetti, chili , Cheddar cheese and onions 5-way: includes spaghetti, kidney beans, chili, Cheddar cheese, and onions.

Make it a Great Day!(eat some chili dogs!!!)  Join the Blog hop below from Santa's Gift Shoppe too!
Ann

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Wednesday link up. Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    YUM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I love your comments!